“‘Cause a little bit of summer’s what the whole year’s all about…”Wildfire, John Mayer
With the amazing weather we experienced this week now a distant memory, I have decided to preserve Summer the only way I can… in my mind. After all, Summer is more of a state of mind than it is a tangible season, at least here in the U.K.
So, until I’m able to get on a plane and fly away safely, I will be doing my best to bring a little bit of Summer into my life through a range of fun activities and good vibes only. Consequently, I’ve crafted a little bucket list for this Summer. I hope it brings you some ideas for how to manifest the Mykonos vibes, without the need for a PCR test. Aperol Spritz optional, but highly recommended.
- Brunches, lunches and dinners outside – I know many of us have graduated to indoor dining now that restrictions have lifted, but I am still of the opinion that outdoor dining is the elite way to eat. Not only does it feel like you are in Spain when you are in fact, in Soho, but it is probably a bit safer right now. Of course, this one might require a bit of cooperation from the weather gods above.
- Sunset walks – If you were anything like me in the depths of lockdown, you may have passionately iterated that you never wanted to go on another aimless walk again. Yeah, I certainly made that statement a few times, and I would like to scratch it from the record please. There is something about walks on those long, pink-skied Summer evenings that makes you feel like you are starring in your own rom-com. In terms of where to go, Notting Hill is my favourite place to wander. It’s “surreal, but nice…”
- Try Rock Climbing – I have been wanting to try rock climbing for a while now and I feel Summer is the perfect time to tick it off the list. I am hoping to try this soon with a friend of mine who has done it a few times and can show me the ropes. Pun intended.
- Clubbing – Need I say more…
- Reading in a park in the sun – Is there honestly anything better than a good book and a spot of sunbathing? If you’re still struggling with Hayfever like myself, I would strongly advise you take a Cetirizine before you go. Close your eyes, let the sun soak into your skin and you could be anywhere. Just don’t fall asleep there!
- Tennis with friends – A friend of mine recently suggested we play tennis as a fun mid-week activity and booked some courts in her local park. It was such a great night and made me realise how much I miss actually playing sports. So many of us work out at home or at the gym, but I seriously think there is something to be said for bringing back the sports we loved when we were kids.
- Cook a Summery meal – Admittedly, I would not generally put cooking on my list of hobbies, however I am trying to get more into it. When something feels like a bit of a chore, a great way to trick your brain into liking it more is by setting yourself a challenge. I want to try to create an original Summer meal that is not only easy to make, but delicious. I’ll let you know how it goes!
- Get into Love Island – This year has certainly been a slow burn compared to previous seasons of Love Island but, finally the show has started to heat up. Casa Amor is happening tomorrow and I am ready for the chaos.
- Picnic – This one might put you at the mercy of the Weather Channel again, so I would suggest a spontaneous picnic. On a warm day send a message to your friends, grab a blanket and head to Sainsburys to stock up on tinnies and strawberries. A low maintenance and generally cheap afternoon of fun is guaranteed.
- Karaoke night – For my birthday a few months ago, I did a karaoke night with the girls and it was the most fun I have had in a while. With private rooms so that you don’t need to worry about embarrassing yourself in front of an audience of strangers, Lucky Voice is the place to be! The waiters can even bring pizza to your room if you get hungry from belting out bangers. As for song suggestions? Anything Britney or Taylor Swift always goes down a treat in my friendship group.
I hope this list has brightened up your rainy evening and given you a few ideas for how to make the most of this Summer. If you try any of the things on the list, please leave me a comment and let me know. Summer loading…